What is Spousal Maintenance?

What is Spousal Maintenance?

Spousal maintenance is financial support paid by one party to another following separation. Spousal maintenance is intended to financially support the spouse and is a separate payment to child support.

Under theĀ Family Law Act 1975, a person has a responsibility to financially assist their spouse or former de facto partner, if that person cannot meet their own reasonable expenses from their personal income or assets.

There are time limits associated with making an application for spousal maintenance, which is why it’s important to get legal advice after you separate from your partner.

If you were married, an application for spousal maintenance needs to be made within 12 months of the date of your divorce.

If you were in a de facto relationship, an application for de facto partner maintenance needs to be made within 2 years from the date of separation.

If you do not make an application within these time limits, you will need to seek leave of the Court (special permission) to bring an application out of time. There is no guarantee that the Court will allow your application to be brought out of time.

In determining an application for spousal or de facto partner maintenance, the Court must examine each of the parties financial circumstances, including the inability of a party to support themselves, as well as the ability of the other party to support the person applying for maintenance. Orders for maintenance are not automatically made just because the applicant cannot financially support themselves.

Equally, if your ex-partner is seeking that you pay them spousal maintenance, you should seek legal advice straight away.

At Turnbull Legal Solutions, we can provide you with expert advice about spousal maintenance.

For a no obligation initial appointment, please contact us on 1300 101 529.

Recent Articles

First Home Buyers Choice - what is it and what does it mean for you?

16th January 2023

From 16 January 2023 eligible first home buyers can now choose between paying the one-off Transfer Duty (stamp duty)... Read More

Left out of a Will?

05th July 2019

If you have been left out of a Will, it is important that you get legal advice about your... Read More

What is the Difference Between Orders and a Parenting Plan?

28th June 2019

Orders Orders are made by a Court, sometimes by Consent of the parties and sometimes by the Judge after a... Read More

Family Law and the Court Process

29th May 2019

If you have been served with an Application by your ex-partner, you need to obtain expert legal advice. Seeing... Read More

New Drink Driving Laws in NSW - what they mean for you

24th May 2019

From 20 May 2019, if you are caught drink driving the Police can either issue an infringement notice (an... Read More

Separation & Property Settlements

09th May 2019

When you separate, it is extremely important to divide assets and liabilities as quickly as possible. Not only will... Read More

Recovery Orders

01st May 2019

What is a Recovery Order? This is an Order made by the Court (usually the Federal Circuit Court) that requires... Read More

5 Common Questions about Probate

24th April 2019

What is Probate? Probate is the process where the Supreme Court checks and verifies ("proves") the last Will of the... Read More

5 Common Questions about Wills

10th April 2019

What is a Will? A Will is a legal document that details your wishes about how you want your assets... Read More