New Drink Driving Laws in NSW – what they mean for you

New Drink Driving Laws in NSW – what they mean for you

From 20 May 2019, if you are caught drink driving the Police can either issue an infringement notice (an on the spot fine) or a Court Attendance Notice (a notice requiring you to go to court) for the offence of Low Range Drink Driving (that is, a Blood Alcohol Concentration of 0.05 to 0.079). If you receive an infringement notice you will also receive a 3 month licence suspension, either immediately from the Police or a short time later from the RMS. The on-the-spot fine is $561.00.

A licence suspension can have detrimental effects on your life, including your family, loss of your job, financial hardship and even relationship problems as a result of the stress that comes with this situation.

If you receive an infringement notice, you have 2 options – pay the fine of $561.00 and wear the immediate suspension of your licence or elect to go to Court.

If you receive a court attendance notice, or you choose to take the matter to court, the maximum penalty for this charge depends on whether you are a first offender (in that case, 20 penalty units) or a second and subsequent offender (30 penalty units). At the time of writing this article, 1 penalty unit = $110.00. If the court records a conviction, they must make a disqualification order. For a first time offender, the automatic disqualification period is 6 months. This disqualification period can be reduced, but it cannot be reduced below the minimum period of 3 months.

If you have received a Court Attendance Notice, or you have received an Infringement Notice and you’re considering electing to go to Court, you should seek legal advice.

At Turnbull Legal Solutions we can provide you with advice on what you should do next and the information that needs to be presented to the Court for the best possible outcome for you. We offer a fixed fee for all sentencing matters in the Local Court which means there are no hidden surprises. Contact Turnbull Legal Solutions today for a no obligation consultation to discuss your legal matter.

Recent Articles

First Home Buyers Choice - what is it and what does it mean for you?

16th January 2023

From 16 January 2023 eligible first home buyers can now choose between paying the one-off Transfer Duty (stamp duty)... Read More

What is Spousal Maintenance?

13th August 2019

Spousal maintenance is financial support paid by one party to another following separation. Spousal maintenance is intended to financially... Read More

Left out of a Will?

05th July 2019

If you have been left out of a Will, it is important that you get legal advice about your... Read More

What is the Difference Between Orders and a Parenting Plan?

28th June 2019

Orders Orders are made by a Court, sometimes by Consent of the parties and sometimes by the Judge after a... Read More

Family Law and the Court Process

29th May 2019

If you have been served with an Application by your ex-partner, you need to obtain expert legal advice. Seeing... Read More

Separation & Property Settlements

09th May 2019

When you separate, it is extremely important to divide assets and liabilities as quickly as possible. Not only will... Read More

Recovery Orders

01st May 2019

What is a Recovery Order? This is an Order made by the Court (usually the Federal Circuit Court) that requires... Read More

5 Common Questions about Probate

24th April 2019

What is Probate? Probate is the process where the Supreme Court checks and verifies ("proves") the last Will of the... Read More

5 Common Questions about Wills

10th April 2019

What is a Will? A Will is a legal document that details your wishes about how you want your assets... Read More