From 16 January 2023 eligible first home buyers can now choose between paying the one-off Transfer Duty (stamp duty) upfront or an annual Property Tax on purchases of new or existing homes up to $1.5 million. Eligible first home buyers purchasing existing homes up to $650,000.00 and new homes up to $800,000.00 will still qualify... View Article

Spousal maintenance is financial support paid by one party to another following separation. Spousal maintenance is intended to financially support the spouse and is a separate payment to child support. Under the Family Law Act 1975, a person has a responsibility to financially assist their spouse or former de facto partner, if that person cannot meet... View Article

If you have been left out of a Will, it is important that you get legal advice about your options and that you do so as soon as possible. If you are an eligible person, and have not been adequately provided for, you may make an application for a Family Provision Order. An eligible person... View Article

Orders Orders are made by a Court, sometimes by Consent of the parties and sometimes by the Judge after a final hearing. Neither is better or more enforceable than the other. If you and your ex-partner can reach agreement and make Orders by Consent, this is the preferred option. Not only does it save everyone... View Article

If you have been served with an Application by your ex-partner, you need to obtain expert legal advice. Seeing a Solicitor is not enough, you need to see someone who is experienced in Family Law. Stages of the Court Process Initiating Application – this is the document which is prepared and filed (lodged) with the... View Article

From 20 May 2019, if you are caught drink driving the Police can either issue an infringement notice (an on the spot fine) or a Court Attendance Notice (a notice requiring you to go to court) for the offence of Low Range Drink Driving (that is, a Blood Alcohol Concentration of 0.05 to 0.079). If... View Article

When you separate, it is extremely important to divide assets and liabilities as quickly as possible. Not only will this help you emotionally, but it will also protect you financially. Below we set out some of the most common questions clients ask when they separate. What property is included? All assets and liabilities (whether held... View Article

What is a Recovery Order? This is an Order made by the Court (usually the Federal Circuit Court) that requires a child or children to be returned to a parent of the child, or a person who has a parenting order that states the child lives with, spends time with or communicates with that person,... View Article

What is Probate? Probate is the process where the Supreme Court checks and verifies (“proves”) the last Will of the deceased. Once the process is completed, a document called a ‘Grant of Probate’ is issued by the Supreme Court. Do I need Probate? This all depends. In NSW, the answer is yes in most cases.... View Article